Thursday, November 11, 2004

thank God, He's not like me

If you would like a hard copy ‘bouquet’ of fresh flowers for yourself or someone you know visit click on ‘flower shop’.


I can’t help but think that I’m glad God isn’t like me. As I survey my relationships and the ‘domain’ I serve I mess up on a regular basis. If the world depended on me to get it right every time, you’d all be in BIG trouble. You can use your imagination to find instances in your own life where the issues below show up. Today, I don’t think I’ll tell you how I managed to accomplish each of these. So here we go, I’m glad God isn’t like me because…

When I ask Him to forgive me, He really does, totally, completely, never brings it up again.

Psalm 103:12 “as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us”

He never accuses me falsely. He is completely just.

Psalm 9:8 “He will judge the world in righteousness; he will govern the peoples with justice.” (there are quite a few verses in this psalm that pertain to the Lord’s justice)

He never loses His temper, even when I persist in being rebellious and stubborn.

Psalm 103:8 “The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.”

He remembers and keeps every promise He ever made.

Numbers 23:19 “God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?”


He perfectly matches the job with the maturity level so that we can succeed. He never sets us up for failure.

Hebrews 13:20, 21 “May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”

He doesn’t procrastinate, make excuses for a task undone or show up late (or not at all).

Philippians 1:6 “Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
II Peter 3:9a “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness.”

He knows when I need encouragement, a comforting word or a kick in the pants and doesn’t get them mixed up.
II Corinthians 1:3 “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,”
Proverbs 3:12a “because the Lord disciplines those he loves,”
All of Psalm 139

As you’ve reflected on these things and added a few of your own to the list, aren’t you glad that God isn’t like me (or you). Let’s rejoice together that God is who He is.

No comments: