Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Leviticus Lessons - part 3

I don’t think I would have wanted the job of being a priest back in the beginning of the tabernacle. Those guys had a big job. They needed to know the regulations of the temple stuff but also needed to be butchers, bakers, inspectors, physicians and who knows what else I haven’t come across yet. They were responsible for the spiritual AND physical well-being of the people. No wonder they needed so many of them.

I am amazed at God’s wisdom. When he talks about what to do with infectious skin conditions and bodily discharges it just makes common sense. STAY away from other people, usually for a period of about two weeks, and wash! Sound familiar? For the longest time I didn’t really understand what was meant by ‘bodily discharge’ – I thought it referred to semen and menstrual cycles but those are dealt with separately. Then I looked at my kids. One has a cold, runny nose, watery eyes, hmmm, could this be bodily discharge? Another one has pneumonia and is hacking up phlegm and vomiting, hmmm, more bodily discharge! What do they tell you to do with these kinds of things? Isolate them and wash your hands. Nothing new under the sun is there…

2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Yes, there is a lot of common sense in Leviticus.

Increasingly I am hearing of people who are looking at the old regulations and choosing to be restrained by them because they have found that it just makes sense . A little discipline can result in a lot of freedom, it is no fun being sick and lethargic.

It is also those regulations that allowed the Jews to prosper while our ancestors suffered. Jewish ghettos where always clean and the people healthy and productive unlike the much of the rest of the European population.

Jeffrey said...

Oh, one more thing on the subject of sick you could pray for me I have a sore throat and am feeling rather lethargic, but can not think of why - I do not think I have been exposed to anything.