Tuesday, January 03, 2006

fresh flowers for January 3, 2006

The Day of Small Things
copyright 2006, Lani Wiens
a fresh flowers original

What would you think if you asked someone to come and help you with a specific task only to find that when they arrived they weren't willing to do the task you set out for them to do? They were quite willing to do a myriad of other things, just not the specific thing you really needed help with. If you were an employer you'd probably be fairly vexed and fire them on the spot. If it were a friend you may be annonyed and it may strain the relationship. As a parent I find it particularly exasperating when I need help with a specific task and my children offer to do anything but the thing I really need them to do.

That very thing happened at lunch time today and it got me to wondering how that looks in my realtionship with God and in my spiritual family. Often God assigns us a task to do. Often we don't want to do it, we have something else in mind. For example, perhaps He says, "You there in the green socks with pink stripes and purple polka dots, I want you to minister to the babies in the nursery." You notice that no one else in the vicinity has green socks with pink stripes and purple polka dots so you're pretty sure that you are the person He is addressing. You ponder the request. Working with babies in the nursery will not get you much thanks, notice or affirmation. You make a counter-offer. "How about this?" you say very sweetly, "I think I would like to sing in front with the worship team, preferably lead the team and have solos on a frequent basis since I'm pretty certain that with a touch of your Spirit I would be a real asset to the team. Whaddya think?

"I think I'd like you to minister to the babies in the nursery, that's where you'll grow and there's a definate need there that you can fill."

"How about this? I could be a prophet that speaks your words and guides the masses in the way they should go, be your mouthpiece and all that."

"I need you to work for me in the nursery, you can be my arms around those little babies, that's what I really need."

"A famous evangelist, winning the lost to the kingdom?"

"A baby rocker."

"A philanthropist, funding major projects in your name?"

"A diaper changer."

"You're not going to change your mind are you?"

"No."

"Is that final."

"For now, yes, that's final."

"Alright, I'll go sign up for the nursery." (grumble, grumble, grumble)

Sound familiar? There is an amazing, fabulous, beyond belief reason why God has us do each little assignment. He is preparing us for something. Building character in us. Moulding us and shaping us into something that more resembles His image.

If there is anything that my husband and I have learned in this season of waiting is that everything is preparation for something else as we submit to it. The second thing is that if God plants a dream in your heart and says it will happen it will come to pass without you pushing, pulling, striving, screaming, crying, begging, pleading or trying. We are asked to prepare, to get ready, to do the small things that He puts in our way each day so that someday the vision will come to pass, whether it is a personal vision, one for your local church, your city, your country or the world. His purposes WILLl be fulfilled and accomplished, He promised that in Phillipians chapter one. Be faithful in the small things, they will prepare you for more small things that will add up to something great in His kingdom.

1 comment:

BayouMaMa said...

Great post! As a nursery worker, I can relate to it personally.

There is no small thing with God is there?