Thursday, January 18, 2007

Peanut Butter Jars

The other day I got to open a new jar of peanut butter. I'm not sure what it is exactly but ever since I was a little girl I've loved opening the new jar of peanut butter. I think maybe it's because I love 'new' things - projects, clothes, cloth, adventures, etc.

The down side is that it doesn't take long for the new jar of peanut butter to look like every other jar of peanut butter I've ever had. It takes more work to get the peanut butter out the farther down you get. I'm always so excited to start a new project and then, not too far in, you realize, "Hey! This thing is going to take some work to finish!" Sometimes, rather than go all the way to the bottom of the jar, we start a new one, just to get that same rush of a new thing beginning!

A dear friend of mine helped me a few years ago to become a better project manager. She rarely opens the new jar before the old one is completely empty. She could not understand the many peanut butter jars in various stages of completion that I had on hand. However, my life isn't like hers and I keep several things going so that I can work on them depending what level of distraction I've got going and where I happen to be.

I'm thinking our move is a little like my peanut butter jar. It's like opening the grand-daddy of all peanut butter jars for us...walking into some things we've only ever dreamed about happening. Our heads aren't in the clouds, we are fully aware there are going to some big kinks to work out and we have a massive learning curve ahead of us. But guess what, peanut butter is peanut butter all the way down to the bottom of the jar! And it's sooooooooo good!

1 comment:

Trail Rider said...

whoa!!!! new template. i was so shocked....
hence the "new things" it fits.
i agree with the new jar of peanut butter. margarine is the same way, it's got this "swirl" at the top, it's hard to mess it up with the knife